“Used” presents can sometimes have a negative connotation, but there are a number of things you can give as gifts that don’t need to be brand new. These can include furniture, jewellery, household appliances and even collectibles. Auction houses are a great place to find second hand goods that are of high quality.
An important thing to note, on top of the winning price you also must pay a ‘buyers premium’. This goes to the auction house and is usally 18% (including GST) but can vary from place to place.
Some good auction houses where you might find some great gifts include:
Some good auction tips:
- Know the true value of the item you’re looking at
- Make sure it is in good enough condition to give as a gift
- Don’t bid too early, wait until the last minute
- Have a limit…don’t get carried away
- Factor in the buyers premium